- By: CO Experts
- 0 comment
Often called the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide can be lethal in high doses and cause health issues at low concentrations.
In a recent article published on Insider.com , Bryan Standley, a Tik Tok sensation who runs a home inspection business in Kansas City, believes every homeowner should purchase a low-level carbon monoxide detector. Here’s Bryan’s three reasons:
1. Standard carbon monoxide detectors don’t alert homebuyers to all levels of carbon monoxide
What most people don’t realize is that a standard carbon monoxide alarm only goes off when there are deadly amounts of carbon monoxide in the house – 70 PPM or higher. That alarm going off means evacuate the house immediately and call the fire department.
2. Very low levels of carbon monoxide can still be present in a home and cause health problems over time
Co poisoning can occur at levels lower than 70PPM. According to Harvard Medical School’s Harvard Health Publishing, a person exposed to “very low” levels of carbon monoxide over a period of weeks or months can develop flu-like symptoms, include headaches, fatigue, malaise, and occasionally nausea and vomiting. Long-term exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can also cause “numbness, unexplained vision problems, sleep disturbances, and impaired memory and concentration,” according to the same Harvard Health Publishing article.
3. Low-level carbon monoxide detectors are worth the investment
The average price of a basic carbon monoxide detector ranges from $15-50.. Low-level carbon monoxide detectors cost a bit more —typically around $100 — but the jump in cost is worth monitoring levels on a continual base since carbon monoxide can easily find its way into a home.
For more tips, follow Standley on TikTok @bryanstandley
Leave a Reply